Penn Cove is a perfect place to canoe and kayak.
Coupe’s Boat Launch, on NE 9th, 8 blocks from Main St. is a fine jumping in point for your kayak or canoe rides. Famous for our Water Festival native boat races every year, Penn Cove provides you with a variety of activities from your canoe or kayak. Cruise around the cove and then park it for a meal or snack on the wharf or on Front St. We look forward to seeing you on the cove enjoying our wonderful location.
The Coupeville Historic Waterfront Association promotes safe water sports in our cove. Please be sure you have checked this list for safety, then enjoy your time out.
Before you launch, make sure you inform someone of your plans to paddle
- Tide times
- Kayak/canoe in GOOF condition
- GOOD sturdy paddle
- Whistle attached to life jacket
- spray skirt
- Secure bouyancy (inflated floats or bags filled with gear) in bow and stem (for kayak)
- Secure bouyancy (no over crowding, heavy items (ice chest, ect) placed properly (for canoe)
- Clothing that is suitable for weather AND WATER TEMPERATURE!
- Sea Sock
- Bilge pump
- Signaling devices (flares!)
- Spare paddle (or paddles if in group)
- Paddle float
- Water Bottle
- Headlamp/flashlight (even for day trips)
Additional items that are important!
- Sun hat
- First Aid kit
- Rain gear in water proof bag
- Knife (better yet multi use tool
- Tow line (25 feet min)
- Water proof matches or lighter
- Safety first mindset