Historic Waterfront Facade and Preservation Grant program.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Each year applications are accepted mid April.
The Façade and Preservation Grant program is very important to Coupeville’s historic waterfront. Our historic building inventory needs constant care to retain pride, comfort and economic sustainability in Coupeville. Our intent is to provide those within the historic catchment some financial support as you care for their building. To that end we are offering additional financial support by covering up to 60% of the accepted grant amount in this cycle (previously we only covered 50%).
Building Owner Eligibility
Building must be located in the “historic catchment” as designated by the Washington Main Street program under the the Washington Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation. Building owners NOT tenants are to be grant applicants.
Projects include, but not limited to the following:
- Repair and restoration of architectural detail, exterior facades (front, rear and side facades are eligible).
- Exterior Painting
- Cleaning of building exterior
- Masonry work
- Architectural assistance
- Repairing or replacing cornices, entrances, doors, windows, decorative detail, pent roofs or awnings. In the matter of historic materials and/or historic look, CHWA will work with Ebey’s Forever Heritage Grant Program to assure compliance and compatibility.
- Sign removal, repair or replacement.
- Other repairs that may improve the aesthetic quality of the building.
Facelift Improvement Grant: Based upon the CHWA budget, the board will determine the amount available for grants prior to the grant application announcement. Recipients are required to pay for at least 40% of the total cost of the 2020-2021 project. CHWA will pay up to 60%.
While the timing may seem poor, we felt it important to follow through with the Facade Grants. And while we are in a ‘stay at home’ order by Governor Inslee making the right phone calls to contractors is still allowed.
EACH YEAR Building owners & tenants will be notified via email that the Facade Grant Application season has opened. Only building owners will be considered. IF a building’s tenant has vital projects of need they must contact the building owner to have them pursue the grant.