Sparked from a program title she saw historic Savanah, GA. doing, our Executive Director Vickie Chambers tweaked the model and went looking for partners to create a pennies program here in Coupeville. Penn Cove Sailing and the Coupeville Chamber of Commerce joined in and P4P – Pennies for Preservation Coupeville was born! P4P raises donated dollars for important preservation, restoration and beautification projects in historic Coupeville.
DROP OFF contributions at the Coupeville Chamber of Commerce office daily from 10:30am till 3:30pm at 905 Alexander in Coupeville.
FIND FIND JARS throughout Coupeville at local businesses.
Most recent (May 2016) funds donated to the Port of Coupeville for purpose of assisting in repair of the Wharf’s beach access stairs. Located at the Wharf’s land’s end entry, behind Collections Boutique (24 Front St), the stairs have been undermined by high tides and storm surges and are currently closed for safety concerns.
Jan. 2017 Update: Apparently the Port Commission has secured necessary additional funds for repair of stairs. It’s a slow process, we’ll keep you posted as the project moves into their physical repair days.
Pictured: Port Commissioners William Bell,John Mishasek and *Mike Diamanti with our Executive Director Vickie Chambers and Coupeville Chamber Executive Director Lynda Eccles on far right.
*2017 update: Mike Diamanti is no longer a Port Commissioner. Bob Monroig takes his place on the 3 person commission.
The beautiful “Mini Me” Wharf (built by generous volunteers) stands at the Wharf’s land’s end entrance to provide an extra boost to our Wharf donations.
The Wharf needs in excess of $500,000.00 in piling and engineering repair. State generated port budget won’t suffice. HELP by DONATING TODAY.
Photo Credit: Professional photographer Denis Hill, Whidbey Panorama’s
Coupeville, located on the south shore of Penn’s Cove, is the oldest town on Whidbey Island and second oldest town in the state of Washington. It was founded by Thomas Coupe (1818-1875) captain of the bark Success, who arrived in Puget Sound in 1852 and filed a 320-acre donation land claim on the site. Captain Coupe is the only man known to have sailed a square-rigged sailing ship through treacherous Deception Pass.
The town was established in the early 1850s after several sea captains who had been plying the waters of Puget Sound decided to retire there, filing donation land claims. Coupeville, perfectly situated in Central Whidbey Island across from burgeoning Port Townsend, prospered and grew. The town replaced Coveland as the county seat in 1881 and was incorporated in late April, 1910. The Indian name for Coupeville was reported to be P’t-sa-tl-y, meaning “snake basket.” According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Coupeville had a population of 1,723. Read entire McClary Essay
GIVE to the Pennies For Preservation campaign today.
Mail a check to the Coupeville Historic Waterfront (Write Pennies for Preservation in check memo) PO Box 121
Coupeville, WA 98239
Drop at check off at the Coupeville Chamber Office at 905 Alexander St. in Coupeville.
SUPPORT PRESEVATION in COUPEVILLE