The Coupeville “grain wharf” is a wharf built in 1905 in our town of Coupeville, Washington. It was formerly used for exporting grain produced on Whidbey Island. It is a contributing property to the Central Whidbey Island Historic District, registered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, and part of the Ebey’s Landing National Historic Reserve (part of the National Parks Service.
The Coupeville Wharf is the centerpiece of Coupeville. We’re proud this amazing structure has stood for over 110 years and intend it stands strong for many years to come.
Since it’s building the Coupeville Wharf has faced many triumphs and challenges for our community and the maritime history of Washington and Whidbey Island. This massive structure and long pier require constant maintenance and repair overseen today by the Port of Coupeville.
Visit our history site for information and an interactive map of our historic buildings and their history.
Located at the foot of both Front and North Alexander streets, the Coupeville wharf is the star of our western history. Relying on boats for both goods and travel and connecting Coupeville and Whidbey to Seattle, Everett, and ports beyond, the wharf connected Whidbey to the world. The famous “mosquito fleet” ran to and from this wharf until 1937 when the Deception Pass bridge was built.
The 1905 wharf (Coupeville’s fourth) was built longer and wider than its previous incarnations by a group of local farmers and merchants who wanted to better accommodate their transportation and commerce needs during daily low tides. The wharf extends 500 feet directly into Penn Cove.
Over the years the building has been home to Coupeville’s transportation, commerce and industry. Today it houses a marine educational center hosted and maintained by the Sound Water Stewards; 1 restaurant; a coffee shop; a souvenir shop; access to water recreation; gas and supplies for boats and the Harbor Master’s Office. The Wharf is owned, operated and maintained by the Port of Coupeville.
Contemporary photos credited to: Whidbey Panorama’s by Denis Hill. Prints available at The Penn Cove Gallery – 9 NW Front Street, PO Box 1662, Coupeville, WA 98239
360-678-1176 – Open daily, 10:00am – 5:00pm
This wharf is in danger every winter from King Tides, wind and waves. The Port of Coupeville’s annual budget is stretched EVERY YEAR! To help shore up the Port’s stressed budget you can give to our Pennies For Preservation program. Donations are tax deductible and go to specific projects (depending urgency) on the wharf, pier and lands end area.
King Tides are expected to increase in the coming years. Find out more
Eagle on Wharf Photo Credit: Beth at bayleaf
From the early days to today literally hundreds of thousands of photographs have been taken of the wharf.
Share your pictures of the Coupeville Wharf on our Coupeville Historic Waterfront Assoc. facebook page.